Frequently Asked Questions

Answer all of your questions

General Questions

Horizon Charters Schools is a FREE, publicly-funded school.
Simply visit the Enroll Now page and fill out the online application.
The amount of time it takes is different for each family. An Enrollment Specialist will call after we receive your completed application. The Specialist will work with you as your advocate during the entire process of enrollment.
When you enroll online, you will receive an acknowledgement, a phone call, and letter from your Enrollment Specialist. Your Enrollment Specialist will guide you through the rest of the enrollment process.
Sometimes we do have a waiting list for specific programs. You may contact us to check for availability.
Yes! Instructional Funds for the 2021-22 school year are $2,600 per student for grades K-8 and $2,800 per student for students in grades 9-12. Instructional Funds can be used for educational purposes through our approved vendors. Once your child is enrolled, your Supervising Teacher will explain the purchasing process and guidelines for using student funds.
We will request your student’s official cumulative file after your student is enrolled as an active student. We must have a birth certificate, proof of residency, and other required documents on file before records can be requested.
Your previous school should have a copy in the official student cumulative file. If not, you can purchase a copy from the county office records department where your child was born.
Contact your child’s previous school and ask for an official transcript.
All fines must be paid in full. Your previous school will not release an official transcript until fines are paid. This could affect your child’s ability to obtain his/her high school diploma.
No. You your child should remain enrolled in his/her current school until you are contacted by our Admissions Department.
You can contact the Admissions Department directly at 916-408-5200, extension 5210.
Our teachers are credentialed and certified to serve a specific student population. However, we recognize the needs of families who have students in different grades levels and serve them well with carefully selected staff.
A parent is required to be at home full time during school hours for children in transitional kindergarten (TK) - 8th grade.
No. You will be assigned a teacher in your local area. Horizon Charter Schools has Supervising Teachers in every county bordering Placer County.
We encourage families and Supervising Teachers to meet in a public place. You and your teacher will determine the location, day and time that works best for both of you during your initial phone conversation or at your first meeting.
We offer a wide variety of age-appropriate social activities for Home Study and Independent Study students, including: study trips, meet ups, events, activities, Learning Center classes and classes at partner businesses. We also have programs that offer both academic and social experiences for homeschool families and a Parent Liaison who spends her time finding new and creative ways to keep our families connected. Your student may stay very busy!
Attending a WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) accredited school is extremely important, especially during the high school years. The credits your student earns at a WASC accredited school are transferable to traditional schools. Accredited institutions are evaluated extensively and conform to general expectations of performance and quality. Because accreditation requires continual self-evaluation, frequent reports, and periodic external review, you can rest assured that the educational quality of programs and services offered by the institution are current, reflect high standards of quality, and are offered with integrity.
Yes! Your Supervising Teacher will meet with you on a regular basis. He or she will also help you develop a personalized learning plan, order curriculum, and set up group educational activities. In addition, we provide a Parent Educator to help you teach specific subjects or work with children with different learning styles, a Parent Liaison to keep you connect to the community and other Horizon Charter Schools families, a Curriculum Resource Center filled with educational materials, Educational Partner businesses for supplies and classes, and much, much more!
Yes! Each student has a personalized learning plan that reflects the child’s interests, aptitudes, and abilities.
Computers may be issued to your student as needed. Check with your Supervising Teacher to see if you qualify.
To enroll in kindergarten the student must turn 5 on or before September 1.
Yes! We have a wide variety of online classes available, as well as a distance learning option for high school students. Your Supervising Teacher will work with you to determine what the appropriate educational options are for your child.
To enroll in transitional kindergarten (TK) the student must turn 5 between September 2 and December 2.
At this time, Horizon does not accept preschool students.
Starting January 1, 2021:
  • • Medical exemptions can only be issued through the California Immunization Registry – Medical Exemption website (CAIR-ME) by physicians licensed in California. 
  • • Schools and child care facilities may only accept from parents new medical exemptions that are issued using CAIR-ME.

High School

Yes! We offer A-G approved courses for California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) eligibility.
Yes! Horizon is fully accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
A normal high school course load is 30 credits per semester. If your student is 10 or more credits deficient, he is eligible to take up to 40 credits per semester with Regional Administrator approval. Please ask your Supervising Teacher or Guidance Counselor for specific information.
Yes! However your student must meet specific requirements and have approval from your Guidance Counselor.

Yes, Horizon offers 5 Career/Technical Pathways that require students to complete a defined course of study in a specified industry sector. Four 1-semester Courses (20 credits total) are required to complete a CTE Pathway including an Introductory course, 2 Concentrator courses, and a Capstone course plus aligned participation activities. CTE courses fulfill High School Elective credit requirements and students will receive a “CTE Certificate” for each CTE Pathway that is completed. All HCS CTE courses use online curriculum to guide the student's learning. Teachers and students have direct access to course materials, and parents can request "Observer" access to check progress and grades.

CTE courses are also available through local county CTE programs. Enrollment in these programs may be limited, but definitely worth looking into if your high school student is interested in gaining hands-on vocational experience. Enrollment in county CTE programs requires approval from your student's Guidance Counselor.

Yes! Students may work if they are eligible for a work permit and continue to make satisfactory academic progress. See your Guidance Counselor for details.
​Yes! Horizon has a senior dance. While honoring our graduating seniors, it's also open to juniors and sophomores, and freshmen may attend as guests. It's a special night of glitz and glamour!
Horizon Charter Schools has a large graduation ceremony every year at the Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. Students wear the traditional cap and gown. We typically graduate about 400 students each year and often have over 2,000 family members, friends, and relatives attend the ceremony. It’s an exciting event!
Horizon Charter School does not support graduation dates prior to completing four years of high school. We do, however, recognize that some students come to Horizon with additional credits that may enable them to finish a semester early. These situations will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and permission by the Guidance Department and Regional Administrators is necessary.

Special Education

You will need to provide a copy of your most recent IEP and psychological report.
Yes! Work with your Supervising Teacher and the learning center coordinator.
Special Education services are provided at specific locations per your student’s IEP.

Didn't find the answer?

    Serving the greater Sacramento region: Sacramento, Placer, El Dorado, Nevada, Sutter, and Yuba Counties.